Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Servant Leadership

At the end of Christmas break, some of my student leaders and I traveled to St. Louis, MO for a Catholic leadership conference.  There was a lot of talk about what it means to be a "servant leader," so naturally it has been on my mind lately.




Yesterday, we celebrated the life and accomplishments of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  His pivotal role in the Civil Rights Movement is one that can not easily be forgotten or ignored.  I got to thinking that his life and his model of leadership was one of true service to God and to his nation.  I find it to be fitting, then, that some of his words from The Drum Major Instinct are reflected upon: 


"Everybody can be great, because everybody can serve.
You don't have to have a college degree to serve.
You don't have to have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve.
You don't have to know about Plato and Aristotle to serve.
You don't have to know Einstein's "Theory of Relativity" to serve.
You don't have to know the Second Theory of Thermal Dynamics in Physics to serve.

You only need a heart full of grace,
     a soul generated by love,
          and you can be that servant."


It is easy, as a leader or as someone who holds a lot of power, to expect the service of others.  I'm sure any king or sultan could attest to the bliss associated with being served.  To be a true leader, however, is to serve and lead by example.  It isn't always easy or perfect, but it is a constant attempt to do as Jesus did and wash the feet of his apostles.  My constant prayer as a Campus Minister is that I follow this model of leadership and realize that true leadership is a result of authentic and self-giving service.  I'm not perfect, nor do I always have all the answers, but please know that I am trying.

And to be honest, I think that this is what Dr. King was getting at in this sermon.  Trying, even if failing, is a better service to your fellow man then doing nothing at all because at least trying shows a genuine love for someone else.  In this respect, everyone can be great because everyone can love.  Very simply, everyone can be great because everyone can know God.

Think about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment